Instrument Training for Users:
The SSEAU Unit provides instrument training to enable researchers to perform their own measurements. To find out the date of the next instrument training session, contact our staff .
X-ray diffraction E-learning Materials
- Introduction of X-ray diffraction (watch here)
- About powder diffraction, Bragg's law and crystal planes
- Different X-ray sources (watch here)
- How to prepare samples for XRD measurement
- Some tips on data collection for powder and bulk samples
- About thin film XRD
- How to perform phase identification (watch the tutorial on the bottom of Panalytical website)
Upcoming Courses and Seminars:
The SSEAU Unit also arranges specialised courses and workshops, often in partnership with technical experts from our instrument suppliers. In many cases these courses are free to staff and students of UNSW, and sometimes other institutions. Numbers are usually limited so early registration is recommended.
Below are some upcoming webinars
XRD phase quantification tutorial - improve your XRD data analysis. 4:30 pm, Thursday, 2 July 2020. More info
XRD data analysis on HighScore Plus version 4.9 - what's new? 4:00 pm, Tuesday, 28 July 2020. More info
Past Courses and Meetings Run by the SSEAU:
The unit has organised or hosted a diverse range of courses and seminars that deal with structural and chemical analysis:
- HighScore Plus X-Ray Diffraction software training course 13-14th Feb 2017, location F10:G37.
- Diffraction Module 6: Introduction to Rietveld on GSAS, 25 February 2016.
- X-Ray Diffraction Quantitative Analysis using Rietveld, July 2015.
- Diffraction Course Series 2015, four courses presented by the SSEAU and EMU: Introduction, EBSD, crystallography, and electron diffraction, May 2015.
- Bruker High-Resolution XRD Workshop from 11-15 February 2013.
- X-Ray Diffraction Quantitative Analysis using Rietveld, July 2012.
- X-Ray Diffraction Quantitative Analysis using Rietveld, July 2011.
- X-Ray Diffraction Quantitative Analysis using Rietveld, July 2010.
- PANalytical XRD in the Workplace, July 2010.
- SSEA Unit Crystallography Course, June 2010.
- SSEA Unit X-ray Diffraction Quantitative Analysis Using Rietveld Refinement: Course from September 8-11 2009.
- PANalytical XRD in the Workplace Course from July 6-10 2009.
- SSEA Unit Basics of Crystallography Seminar and Workshops, September 2008.
- XRF in the Workplace 11-15 July 2016, Chemical Sciences Building F10:G37.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace, 2-5 November 2015.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace, 14-18 July 2014.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace ,15-19 July 2013.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace, 3-7 September 2012.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace, 6-10 February 2012.
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace, 11-15 July 2011.
- Panalytical Highscore Plus Workshop following the AXAA Conference, 11-13 February 2011.
- PANalytical XRF in the Workplace, September 6-10 2010.
- PANalytical XRF in the Workplace, 22-26 February 2010.
- PANalytical XRF in the Workplace, 7-11 2009.
- PANalytical Understanding XRF Spectrometry: Duncan and Willis Course (Week One) from 12th February to 16th February 2009.
- PANalytical XRF in the Workplace, 2-6 February 2009.
- PANalytical SuperQ - XRF Majors and Minors, 17-19 November 2008
- PANalytical XRF in the Workplace, 29 September to 3 October 2008.
- PANalytical XRF and XRD in the Workplace, 18-22 February 2008.
- PANalytical XRF and XRD in the Workplace, 24-28 September 2007.
Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) Techniques:
- PerkinElmer ICPMS User Group Meeting October 2015.
- PerkinElmer ICPMS National Advanced Applications workshop April 2013.
- PerkinElmer ICPMS Introductory and Advanced training April 2013.
- PerkinElmer ICPOES Introductory and Advanced training April 2013.
- PerkinElmer ICPMS training: Basic 7th May, Advanced 8th May, Seawater analysis by Reaction/Collision cell ICPMS May 2012.
- PerkinElmer ICPOES Training Course March 2012.
- Recent developments in Atomic Spectroscopy. One-day seminar November 2011.
- PerkinElmer Seminar: Advanced Applications for ICPMS by Dr Ken Neubauer, Wednesday 26th of May 2010.
- PerkinElmer ICPOES Introductory and Advanced Training Workshop: September 2009.
- PerkinElmer ICPMS Training Workshop (24-25 Nov08) then ICPMS Applications Workshop November 2008.
- PerkinElmer ICPOES Training Workshop November 2008.
- PerkinElmer ICPMS User Group Meeting and Training Day, June 2007.
Other Analytical Techniques, Meetings and Workshops:
- Diffraction Module 4 Diffraction Techniques with Transmission Electron Microscopy 10am Monday 31 August 2015, F10:G37
- Diffraction Module 5: Synchrotron X-ray and Neutron Diffraction Techniques 10am Tuesday 25 August 2015, F10:G37
- Panalytical XRF in the Workplace 2nd - 6th Nov 2015.
- Synchrotron and Neutron New Users Symposium, Friday 8th July 2011, Room F10:M17
- Symposium: Characterisation of Waters and Wastewaters Using the Liquid Chromatography Organic Carbon Nitrogen Detector (LC-OCND). November 14, 2008.
- UNSW Synchrotron Workshop for New Users on Friday 19th of October 2007.