The laboratory analyses a wide range of solids, powders, liquids, solutions and biological materials, and most equipment is available to prepare your sample for analysis:
- Standard glass microscope slides, scalpels and tweezers are available for basic sample preparation.
- Measuring FTIR of powders using the UATR is fast and simple, however a 15 tonne press is available to make KBr discs (13 mm or 2 mm discs), and a morter and pestle is available to make Nujol mulls for traditional FTIR transmission measurements if required.
- Raman measurement of solutions or liquids can be performed at 785 nm on the RamanStation using a 10 mm cuvette, a 7 mm cuvette or capilliary, depending on how much sample you have available.
- UV-Visible measurement of solutions or liquids can be performed using a standard 10 mm pathlength cuvettes (3 mL or 1 mL) or a 1 mm pathlength cuvette (0.3 mL). A solids holder is available for measuring UV-Vis of transparent samples.
- Biological Samples: Please note that the lab does not have equipment for sectioning of tissues and all biological materials should be "fixed" unless a prior arrangement has been made with the laboratory.
- CaF2 plates for FTIR biological work (transmission).
- Liquid cell with KBr plates for non-aqueous solutions (transmission).