About the Solid State and Elemental Analysis Unit
The SSEAU is part of the Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre. We comprise eight full time staff across four laboratories. We are located in the Chemical Sciences Building (F10) on the Kensington Campus of the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. We have specialised facilities for structural and elemental analysis for a wide range of research areas, including material characterisation, molecular structure, environmental and geochemical analysis and surface analysis. We provide services to University researchers, government bodies, and commercial organisations in Australia and overseas. A summary of our capabilies and responsibilities includes:
- Elemental analysis: thermal analysis of solid or aqueous samples, surface elemental analysis (XPS, TOFSIMS), trace and ultratrace analysis (XRF and ICP), elemental mapping (LA-ICPMS, scanning XRF).
- Structural analysis by X-ray diffraction: single crystal XRD, powder diffraction, thin-film analysis, variable temperature XRD, 2D-XRD.
- Training and educational needs of researchers.
- Cost recovery policies and user charges.
- Strategic planning for new capabilities and equipment.
- Applying of major grants such as LIEF.
- Establishing links with external organisations.
- Support of postgraduate and undergraduate teaching.
If you have questions regarding our services, or feedback on our performance, please contact the SSEA Unit Manager.